Our Cities are Hurting
Cities often get the short end of the stick. Attention is often focused on the provinces and the feds.
Yet local governments are key to keeping us safe and well taken care of.
Municipal workers look after our health, maintain infrastructure and provide other essential services. That includes running our emergency services, parks, libraries, recreation centres, and providing care for the elderly and the young.
This pandemic is hurting the economic viability of our cities.
We need to call on the provincial and federal governments to throw our cities a lifeline. They need immediate funding to overcome immense budget shortfalls due to COVID-19.
If you agree, please add your voice to our petition now. Together we can make sure this becomes a priority for the powers that be.
Here are 5 key priorities that we need right now:
- Public infrastructure to create good jobs and build prosperous communities.
- High quality public services and income support programs.
- Public transit and renewable energy to make our cities more livable.
- Good jobs, fair wages and safe working conditions for municipal workers.
- Strategies to support local businesses and good jobs.
We need you to help save our cities. Can I count on you?
Hassan Yussuff, President
Canadian Labour Congress
Standing up for workers and their families